Issuance of driver's license and REAL ID card
If you have a Ukrainian driver's license, according to the law of the USA, you have the opportunity to drive a car for a certain time, then you need to get an American license. You also have the opportunity to apply for a REAL ID card at the nearest DMV.
How Can I Get a US Driver’s License in California?
To get a Driver's License in California, you will need:
- I-94 Migration card (Humanitarian Parole);
- Rent Agreement or a letter from the owner of the apartment where you live, rent, etc. (form for Rent Agreement: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S5oBpCq_hroX67vZ_FQYznT0nzm0PbjF/view?usp=sharing ) Or another document confirming your legal residence in the USA.
More information on the website: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
You need to contact your local DMV branch with the necessary documents. You can find the branch you need by following the link: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/locations/. You can use the guide to prepare for the test. Here are all the necessary materials in different languages: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-handbooks/. You can also find preparatory tests on the website and questions you may encounter at the DMV test.
What is a Real ID Card and How to Obtain it?
REAL ID is a driver's license or identification card and a federal form of identification. It can be used to board a domestic flight within the United States, identify an individual, and enter facilities such as military bases, courthouses, and other secured federal locations.
To apply for a REAL ID card, you must provide ONE form of identification from the list below. The document must include the date of birth and full name, patronymic, and surname (possible options for non-US citizens are highlighted):
- A valid US passport or passport card;
- Original or certified copy of US birth certificate;
- Valid permanent resident card;
- International passport with a valid US visa or parole and approved Form I-94;
- Certificate of naturalization or certificate of US citizenship;
- A certified copy of a birth certificate from the United States;
- Valid Employment Authorization Card (EAD) (I-766) or valid/expired EAD with Notice of Action (I-797C);
- Valid permanent resident card with Notice of Action (I-797 C) or Notice of Approval (I-797);
- U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen;
- A valid international passport with a “Processed for I-551” stamp;
- Documents proving eligibility for TPS benefits
More about REAL ID: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/driver-licenses-identification-cards/real-id/.